10 rounds (Syphon Filter trilogy)
8 rounds (Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain)
60 rounds (10/50) (Syphon Filter trilogy)
48 rounds (8/40) (Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, with ammunition bonus)
40 rounds (8/32) (Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, without ammunition bonus)
Syphon Filter 2
Syphon Filter 3
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain
The .45 is a pistol found in the first four Syphon Filter games.
The .45 in Syphon Filter is based on the real-life Colt M1911, an American handgun designed by John M. Browning. The M1911 was the standard weapon for the U.S. military from 1911 to 1985. It is a fairly common firearm that inflicts significant damage, at the cost of generating a significant sound when fired and harsh recoil.
In-Game Descriptions & Stats Edit
"This tough, durable gun has been in production for almost a century. It has tremendous stopping power, and in spite of its strong recoil and heavy slide and bolt, it is a deadly weapon in the hands of a seasoned professional."
The .45 pistol is an all-around great weapon in the original title and is first encountered in Washington Park. It is an incredibly powerful handgun capable of dropping most unarmored enemies in 2-3 shots, or a single shot at close enough range. In addition, its generous 10-round magazine minimizes the amount of time spent reloading. The main drawback of the .45 is its loud sound - it is a terrible weapon for stealth situations. It is also slower-firing than the 9mm, which can pose problems when taking on groups of enemies.
Syphon Filter 2Edit
"Developed in the days of trench warfare, this 1911 vintage design is a double-action semi-auto weapon with a strong recoil and tremendous stopping power."
The .45 returns unchanged from the original game, but appears in more missions in Syphon Filter 2. It is available in all of Lian Xing's missions as a starting weapon (with the exception of McKenzie Airbase Interior - it must be obtained from Lian's combat gear). It is also available in the New York Slums as a pickup and is supplied by Teresa Lipan in the New York Sewers.
Syphon Filter 3Edit
"Developed for trench warfare in 1911, the .45's double-action semi-auto design has remained virtually unchanged. Legendary for its stopping power and nasty recoil, this weapon is a favorite among seasoned agents."
The .45 is seen in the missions Costa Rican Plantation, C-5 Galaxy Transport, Aztec Ruins, Convoy, The Beast, Australia Outback, St George Australia, Paradise Ridge, Military Compound and Underground Bunker. It is mostly used by Lian Xing as was the case in previous games but Gabe and Teresa also have it at some point.
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain Edit
"This was the US Army's standard service pistol from 1911 to 1985 and is now the oldest pistol design still in service. It is very reliable and accurate in the hands of an experienced user, and has enough stopping power to take down most targets with a single shot."
The .45 (or M1911) is acquired in The Omega Strain when players achieve the O3 rank. It is now balanced from the previous games, holding a smaller magazine size and thus less bullets than the trilogy allowed. Because of this, players should be aware of their reserve ammunition and use it only when they are sure the enemy will be killed. However, this shortcoming can at least partially be remedied with the dual-wield ability.
- Blistering damage
- Slow firing rate
- Limited effectiveness against armoured enemies if headshots are not scored
- Less common than the 9mm pistol
- Little ammo in The Omega Strain if used without dual wield
- Unsuppressed and noisy
- Heavy recoil
- The M1911 is in fact a single-action weapon, where the hammer must be cocked first before firing. A double-action weapon only requires the trigger to be pulled. However, after the first shot is fired, the cycling of the slide cocks the hammer back for every subsequent shot in the magazine.
- It is the only weapon in the first Syphon Filter that, in real life, is still fielded by modern military units today, although variations of others can still be found.
- In reality, it can only hold seven rounds (plus one in the chamber) without an extended magazine. As such, it has the most realistic magazine capacity in The Omega Strain.
- Syphon Filter's description of the .45 erroneously claims that the gun has a bolt. A bolt is a device primarily used in gas-operated rifles and large-caliber handguns, and no M1911 models exist that use one.
- It is Lian Xing's preferred weapon, just as the 9mm is Gabe's default weapon. This is not the case in Dark Mirror, when the Tek 9 is the former's starting weapon.
- It is called the '.45' in every game except Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain.
- It appears in every game except Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow.
- This weapon was replaced by the Beretta 92F pistol as the US Army's standard handgun in 1980. Ironically, the 92F was itself supplanted by the more powerful Mark 23.
- During the first Gulf War in 1991, US Army soldiers complained the 92F lacked the stopping power of their old M1911 and requested to be reissued the .45 pistol.